As an employee of UNC Asheville, you have a duty to report sexual misconduct when you become aware of it.
If sexual assault is reported to you
- All employees of the university are considered mandated reporters and have an obligation to report all disclosures of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Office.
- If someone wishes to report sexual misconduct to you, you must inform them of your duty to report it to the Title IX Office.
- If they are not comfortable with your obligations, provide them with alternate and confidential reporting options (e.g., campus or pastoral counselors, or the local rape crisis center).
Once a personal request for assistance has been made by a victim of a sexual assault, the primary concern of the person responding should be that of support.
- Calmly maintain a supportive and listening posture at all times.
- Determine the location of the victim and, if possible, the whereabouts of the perpetrator.
- Determine whether the victim is now safe or is injured and if medical assistance is needed.
- Determine what type of help the victim would like. For example, does the victim want law enforcement assistance, counseling assistance, or wish to visit the hospital? Offer these options to the victim to build trust and support.
- Politely suggest that the victim consider visiting the hospital before bathing, washing, or cleaning any body parts, or before changing clothes or disposing of any other evidence that may be valuable in apprehending the suspect.
- If the victim is willing to accept assistance, contact and request the assistance of a response person (police, counselor, friend, or family member).
- Offer unconditional support to the victim by staying on the telephone or by accompanying the victim to the hospital if requested.
- Mandated reporters should call the Title IX Office upon hearing a disclosure of sexual misconduct. The Title IX Office will immediately offer remedies and resources based on the individual's wishes.
If you receive a report and are unsure or uncomfortable following steps 1-7, call the Title IX Office or Campus Police. Step 8 is essential for all employees and encouraged among all members of the campus community.
If you suspect or have knowledge of sexual misconduct
You have several reporting options:
- Title IX Office
- Health and Counseling Services
- University Police
- Asheville Police Department
- Buncombe County District Attorney's Office: 828.259.3400