Title IX prohibits bullying, harassment, or discrimination regardless of gender identity and gender expression. Students who do not conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity or femininity are protected from discrimination, harassment, and violence.
- You have the right to be protected from being bullied or harassed because you are transgender or gender nonconforming.
- You have the right to equal educational opportunities regardless of your gender identity or gender expression.
- You have the right to present yourself in a way that is consistent with your gender identity.
- You have the right to privacy concerning your transgender status.
- You have the right to expect that your preferred pronoun is honored.
- You can change your preferred name for your email, One Card and in Banner for your class rosters.
- In support of ALL of our students, UNC Asheville has All Gender bathrooms across campus, you may find the locations on our campus map here.
To Change Your Name
Students may request a name change in one of three ways:
- In Person: Official and legal name changes may be requested in person at the Office of the Registrar, located in the OneStop Center, Ramsey Library 011. Requests submitted in person require a photo ID and specific legal documentation. The official Name Change form must also be completed.
- By Mail: Name changes may be requested by mail. The official Name Change form must be completed and signed. Appropriate legal documentation should be attached and both the name change form and documentation must be notarized showing the original notary seal and signature of notary.
- Online: Students/faculty/staff should submit the request via the UNC Asheville - Request to Change Preferred First Name form.
- Students should expect that form to take 24-36 hours to be processed (meaning to be uploaded into our system so that the preferred name is captured). As such, students should not submit the form online and then head to the OneCard Office immediately.
- When a student submits the form, wait atleast 24 hours then go to the OneCard office, the OneCard office simply verifies the preferred name with the Registrar (i.e. - the online form completed)
- Please note, the preferred name change request as described here will not change a student's email address (we hope to have this capability for email changes in the future).
- Once processed, preferred name will display:
- Class rosters in OnePort/Self-Service Banner
- Housing Application
- Student data reports
- Gmail name display
- Note: The display name may have saved in individual contact lists if communication has been made prior to the preferred name being entered. ITS has no way of updating individual contact lists.
Note: The preferred name is only uploaded to Moodle if it’s in Banner prior to the first course upload. After that semester, it will be included in future semester uploads.
Note: The gender of the silhouette can be changed by selecting ‘Edit Profile’, the edit icon beside ‘Personal Information’ and choosing the desired gender. Male and Female are the only options.
Faculty/Staff may also go to the OneCard office and request a new OneCard be issued.
Diploma - Upon request only, via the Graduation Application.
The academic transcript displays the legal name only.